It’s April 1st, one of my favorite days of the year, and that’s no April Fool’s joke. I love this day because on my Facebook and Twitter feeds I see an explosion of one of my favorite things – poetry. If you read my blog on World Poetry Day, you know this already, and I don’t want to bore you. What I DO want to do is to encourage you to take this opportunity to expand your horizons a bit and add a little joy and beauty to your life in the form of poetry. The key here is to try it with an open mind.
Here are 7 ways you can celebrate National Poetry Month. Whether you love it, hate it, write it, or teach it, there is something here for you:
1. Read a poem a day
2. Write a poem a day
3. Do a search for Slam Poetry videos and watch a few
4. Go to a poetry reading or open mic
5. Buy a book of poems – pick up an anthology for a taste of several poets or something by a poet you already know you love
6. Attend a poetry slam in your area
7. Poetry Madness – channel your love for college basketball brackets into a poetry competition for your class or Slam
Finally, I want to leave you with one of my favorite slam poems. There is a good chance you may have seen it, in which case, this a wonderful opportunity to watch it again. And if it’s new to you, I hope you will check it out and love it like I do!